Wednesday, February 22, 2012

 Welcome to Abundant Chisomo. Chisomo..meaning grace, in the Chichewa language, the mother tongue of the Malawians whom I so dearly love. Why this title? You could sum up my life in that one word. The Abundant Grace that my Savior has lavished on me. That Chichewa word represents a lot, 6 weeks of my life in Africa. 6 weeks full of learning, struggles, challenges, growing, compassion, joy, desperation, peace, sleepless nights, exhausting days, encounters with God, singing, preaching, sharing, encouraging, being encouraged, giving, laughter, smiles, and tears. Happy tears. Desperate tears. Tears spilling over from a heart overwhelmed by poverty, hunger, hopelessness, and the reality of evil and tragedy that saturates the Dark Continent of Africa.

 I am the second oldest of the 12 children in my family. I have wonderful, godly parents who have been leaders by example, showing me the long and narrow way, and raising me to always choose God's way. By most standards, before I left on this trip, my spiritual life was in a pretty healthy condition. But God doesn't like for us to adhere to such standards. Not when He has so much more to offer.

 Because of what I saw, and because of what I experienced, I will never be the same. The perimeters of my comfort zone were shattered, leaving me no choice but to step out and face what was beyond the confinement of  my 'own little comfortable world'. To see that this life isn't about me after all. I got to spend 6 weeks in remote villages, living among those who have no voice. I looked into the eyes of young children, men and women of all ages, and was torn to pieces by the amount of hopelessness and emptiness they expressed in one glance, one gaze. Yes, it was utter poverty that I've always heard about but never been exposed to personally. But it's not just lack of food, clean water, shelter, or medicine. It goes so much deeper than that. It is a lack of purpose, love, and hope. A lack of Jesus.  In a country clothed in spiritual darkness, I was able to be used as a candle, while the Holy Spirit lit up the inner lives of so many. Driving out at least some of the darkness, and replacing it with steady, glowing light.


I'm back in the States now, and the struggles here are just as real. I still battle now more than ever with my fleshly desire for ease, comfort, safety and pleasure. There are many days when I ache for that intimacy and communion with God that I experienced in Africa. Oneness that is so much more attainable without all the distractions and obstacles that are so present in America. Some days are broken, chaotic, imperfect and messy. Which doesn't seem to intimidate God. That's where the Abundant Grace comes in.  He specializes in dealing with the messy.

   I'm inviting you to come on a journey with me. A journey of searching, discovering, and experiencing the depths of God's Abundant Chisomo. A journey of  seeking, abiding, denying ourselves, and making Christ the center and focus. A glimpse into the  life of an imperfect teen girl whose only boast is in the Lord and His grace. Abundant, relentless, grace.

3 comments:

  1. :) I will love to follow you in your journey as you share more of your experience and of what's on your mind and heart. I'm sure to be blessed by whatever it is you choose to write.

    May God bless you, my beloved friend. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing lots more about your trip to Africa. I'm sure it was an amazing experience!

    I would love to go to Africa! My Aunt and Uncle are missionarys in Nairobi and I would Love to visit them!
    Maybe someday......

    Glad to see you back to blogging!
    Have a great evening!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to read your precious writing again...

    blessings!

    ReplyDelete